Learning some of the most useful tips for using a secure web gateway (SWG) can help you with your deployment of this tool. So, don’t stop reading just yet.
Tips for Using a Secure Web Gateway
The first thing you need to do in using SWG is to install it in your organization. There are a couple of ways to do this:
- Through a web server, by installing the gateway on a front-end web server,
- By installing a gateway on a network perimeter device,
- By installing the gateway as an appliance.
Then, once you’ve got the SWG, you’ll need to configure it with your settings. The following are the steps you need to do:
1. Configure the general settings, including the hostname and domain name
2. Configure the logging and reporting settings
3. Configure rule sets for specific applications that require additional protection. As in the case where you have an application that requires authentication for access
4. Configure your virtual server settings, if you’re using one. So, make sure that this is configured correctly or else you won’t be able to use sessions or cookie-based authentication
5. Create users and groups for specific application access. So that users can be restricted from certain areas of your site based on their privileges.
What, then, are the benefits of using an SWG within your organization or company? One of the biggest benefits of using SWG is that this can help protect your company’s intellectual property and trade secrets.
Then, another benefit is that it can protect your company from cyber-attacks. This means that SWG can help reduce any costs incurred by your company because of the loss of data and information through cyber attacks.
Moreover, another benefit is that SWG can help improve your online brand. This is because a company with a secure site sends the message to its customers that the company cares about its security. But how does an SWG work?
Secure Web Gateway: How it Works
An SWG works by filtering your internet traffic by inspecting the content being transmitted to your site. This is done to ensure that it complies with the security policies set by an organization. So, an SWG inspects the content of a website before allowing it to be downloaded on your computer. It does this to determine if a site is safe to visit or not.
What are the things that you need to consider when selecting an SWG? There are a lot of things you need to consider when selecting an SWG. These include:
- the reputation of the vendor and the SWG
- cost of implementation and maintenance
- scalability of the platform
- security features provided by the gateway
- whether or not it can handle your current and future traffic
Aside from that, you need to know whether this solution can fit all the needs of your company. Remember, not all SWGs are made equally.
As you can see, an SWG is a great tool to use for your company’s security and protection. But, the thing is, you need to find the best SWG for your company. So, if you want to protect your company from cyber threats and hacks, you need to try using SWG.